Monday, February 2, 2009

How the hell did I get sick?

Since I came down with a cold I've been experimenting with lots of supposed healing liquids....

First I tried a couple recipes from a book called "Jude's Herbal Home Remedies" which is not endorsed by the WAPF or anything but I found it at Goodwill and it looked like fun. The first one involved simmering 1 1/2 quarts of water with 1/2 cup of rice in it and then drinking the water. Jude says to flavor it with vanilla and sugar or cinnamon. I added a bunch of cinnamon since another concoction of hers says cinnamon is a stimulant that makes you sweat, which sounded like a good idea. The drink tastes OK but I didn't notice any relief from my symptoms (or excessive sweating).

I also made a drink with ginger, honey and raisins that you strain and then add juice from lemons and oranges. That was really tasty and soothing. I think I put too much honey in though because it tasted SUPER sweet. I had a stomachache later on, but it also might have been from the movie theater popcorn when I went to go see "Notorious," which was really good.

Then I made some chicken stock with a leftover carcass I had frozen and a big bag of chicken feet I bought from Abundant Life Farm. Now that's something that Sally would approve of! When it cooled it was very gelatinous from the cartilage in the feet (gross!) but that's a good thing because gelatin is supposedly really good for you and has been used as a successful treatment for a host of ailments. It turned out really good and I made the BEST chicken noodle soup with some homemade egg noodles!

The way I made it was to put all the chicken parts in a giant pot with three carrots, an onion and a bunch of celery, all chopped, and simmered it six hours. I added a bunch of parsley (not chopped) to the pot 10 minutes away from the end. That all got strained and skimmed of fat. For the noodles I mixed about 1 cup flour with 1 beaten egg and formed a smooth ball, adding more flour if it got sticky. I rolled it real thin and cut it into strips and added those to the broth along with salt and pepper once it was back on the stove and boiling.

No comments: